Applying for compensation

The victim of a crime must notify the police of the crime.

If the matter is brought to court, the victim of the crime must demand compensation in court from the offender. The offender is always obliged to pay the compensation that has been imposed by the court of law.

Applying for compensation from the State Treasury does not require to first recover the legally imposed amount from the person who is liable to compensate.

Because the compensation granted by the State Treasury is secondary in nature, the victim must first apply for compensation elsewhere, such as:

  • The Social Insurance Institution (Kela) e.g. in the form of daily sickness allowance, reimbursement of medical and travel costs
  • An insurance company e.g. on the basis of an insurance policy for an accident at work or on holiday, travel insurance, home insurance, motor vehicle insurance or legal expenses insurance
  • Unemployment or sickness fund

In his/her application, the applicant must declare whether he/she has or will receive compensation for the damage from another source, such as the offender, the Social Insurance Institution or an insurance company.

Application period
Compensation is claimed from the State Treasury by using the appropriate form, within three years of the date of a final judgement in the compensation case or within ten years of the commission of the crime when the case has not been tried in court.

The application must be accompanied by the following documentation:

a copy of the judgement passed by a court of law. If the case has not been tried in court, a copy of the the pre-trial investigation report or, if pre-trial investigation report has not been prepared, some other reliable report on the case of damage;

  • a doctor’s certificate or medical notes on the injuries and the disability to work;
  • verifiable data on loss of income;
  • if the victim is self-employed, the accounts and tax details of the company as well as information on the interruption of company operations;
  • decision on the daily sickness allowance;
  • information on compensation received from another source (e.g. compensation decision made by an insurance company or the Basic Protection Committee, a statement of enforcement);
  • information on costs to a close associate of the deceased incurred by medical treatment and other essential measures in consequence of death;
  • originals of all invoices and vouchers if the case has not been tried in court or if the perpetrator is not known;
  • vouchers and invoices of the funerary costs as well as other costs relating to the funeral in general;
  • any other information which may have a bearing on the amount of the compensation;
  • a personalized power of attorney if the compensation is paid to a person other than the applicant.
  • an unlimited power of attorney if the acting counsel is not a legal aid counsel or a lawyer;
  • if the case concerns an application for compensation by an employer, information on the nature of the disability to work of the injured party, the crime by which the personal injury was sustained and information on the salary paid during the period of disability to work;
  • an account of the legal expences charged by the counsel in connection with the legal case as well as any decision on compensation on the basis of legal expenses insurance;
  • invoices and vouchers relating to application costs as well as information on any legal aid granted or legal counsel designated;
  • with regard to property damage, information on the extent and nature of the damage;
  • with regard to property damage or financial loss, which is compensated on a discretionary basis, information on the illness, injury or other incapacity suffered by the injured party as well as his/her financial and other circumstances

Where can you get application forms?

Application forms are available from the State Treasury, local Social Insurance Institution (Kela) offices and the police.

The application forms may be delivered or posted to the State Treasury or a local Social Insurance Institution (Kela) office.

The applicant may complete the form on-line and print it from the link given below. The form must be signed.

Application for compensation for crime damage is on our site for Forms >

Further information:
What will be compensated?

Published 2013-01-07 at  10:14 , updated 2017-09-22 at  15:31
Suomeksi   På svenska   In English

Top of the page