Traffic accidents

The State Treasury is responsible for paying compensation for damages resulting from the use of State-owned motor vehicles. A traffic accident caused by a State-owned vehicle or vehicle which is in State's possession (also leased) is compensated from State funds as if the State had insured the vehicle. The State Treasury provides compensation for traffic accidents in accordance with the Motor Liability Insurance Act (460/2016) as if the vehicle had motor insurance.

Traffic accident declaration (.pdf/271k)

Applying for compensation

You can apply for compensation for a traffic accident with a free-form application or with the application form below.

The appropriate certificates and receipts for expenses must be attached to the application. Compensation for damages granted in accordance with the valid regulations and provisions, even when the applicant has not applied for a particular type of compensation or has demanded less compensation than is prescribed by the provisions.

Compensation application for traffic accidents (.pdf/130k)

More information:

liikennevahingot (at)

Published 2013-01-07 at  12:37 , updated 2017-03-14 at  15:35
Suomeksi   På svenska   In English

Top of the page

Give feedback

Feedback on

Contact details